Saturday, August 06, 2005

A Fair that wasn't

I hate crowds. Did ever mention that? It’s the primary reason why I avoid Jalan Tuanku and the occasional pasar malam at all costs. It’s hard to enjoy any quality moment at all when people keep bumping into your shoulder every 3 seconds and the only air you get to breathe is the stench of other people’s body odour.

The Pikom PC Fair. Malaysia’s biggest PC cash and carry event. A crowd puller? A definite ‘yes’. Been around since 1995 and I couldn’t remember the last time I went to one, mainly because it was such a hassle with the crowds that I locked away those unpleasant memories so far back in my mind, never to relive it again.

Earlier this week, I was asked a favour. It was from Sasa. She asked if I was free this Friday. I said yes. She asked whether I would like to accompany her to the PC Fair. Again, I said yes, which was probably my biggest mistake of the week. But the thought didn’t occur to me at that time. Mainly because this year it will be held at the KLCC Convention Centre. A grandiose venue so huge I think people can actually skydive in there. So I think, maybe the crowd will be not that bad this year. Maybe with such a modern place, it will be a pleasant and civilized experience. I was wrong. I was so, so wrong. One important rule of life that I forgot at that moment is that a fair will always be a fair and people will continue to throng the places regardless of the venue. Especially in Malaysia where people couldn’t resist the terms ‘cheaper products’ and ‘free admission’ used in the same sentence in any advertising tagline.

So there I was, at the fair, with Sasa. The moment I stepped past the entrance I knew it was going to be bad. Even at Friday afternoon, when people are supposed to be working at their offices, the place was still relentlessly packed. Lucky us, the Mac booth was near at the beginning of the fair so Sasa managed to get her pink IPod mini without wasting so much time. But therein lies another problem, to get out of there, we had to cross the 5 halls and exit over there which was on the other side of the centre. In which we did. As if we have any other choice. So there I was battling through the crowd, all the way hassled by salespeople handing garbage brochures and evading lost and clueless couples who suddenly decided to stop dead in their tracks. When I finally managed to break free, the warm and hazy air quality of urban KL was much more welcoming than the air-conditioned halls. Looking back, it felt like I just came out from what was almost like the jungles of Amazon. In which time, I made a stronger vow, never to return again.

Left:Zalina, started work at KLCC for a weeks already.
Just found out today.Ignorant?Guilty as charged.
Right: Sasa, the owner of a brand new pink IPod mini.

Fortunately, the day was not to be ended on a bitter note. Arrangements have been made for a game of futsal later that night. And what can be more pleasing than a good kick-a-bout with a bunch of familiar blokes. Even though after 10 minutes of play my heart already felt like it was going to burst because I never done so many sprinting in months, I had fun. I wake up this morning with aches on both my hamstrings and calves, evident of how inactive I’ve been lately. But it was definitely worth it. And I still couldn’t beat Mon in Winning 11.

So, what’s in store for today? Another shiny Saturday with the Twin Towers only a vague image silhouetting behind the haze. I have a kenduri kawin invitation. One of my brother’s Sauber friend’s sister is getting married. I personally don’t know either of them. I just hope the food is good. Tonight’s is the so much hyped about AF Final. Amylea will win, as the Faizad Prophecy predicts. Hopefully I can find something else better to do than letting my butt rot in front of the TV. But I wouldn’t tomorrow night though when an awesome evening at Cardiff is expected. Oh yeah!!
Probably the best 2 looking guys
on the pitch that night

The Aftermath

No comments: