Friday, January 28, 2005

A Chili-ng Crave

Craving is a delicate matter. Dangerous even at times. Because the need to satisfy usually comes at a hefty price. I once blew off a whole afternoon during my internship programme just to please myself with a San Francisco Steakhouse Calzone. It was bliss. But not quite the next day when I had to cover the workload of the day before. But the same thing could not be said last Thursday when I had my latest craving satisfied. It was an all familiar name. It was Chili’s.

Since my delightful introduction to Chili’s a few years ago, I have always experienced fond memories of the place every time I pay a visit. As I looked out of the window of Mom’s Spectra while waiting for the green light to flash at the Bangsar Shopping Complex crossroad, the outdoor balcony of Chili’s Grill and Bar Restaurant reminded me of an intriguing nite with Aritha when I managed to persuade her to dine out with me at 10 pm just so out of boredom. Of course, I had to pick her up from Bandar Utama and everything but it was worth it. It was quite memorable partly because later that nite, when we were about to leave, that was the first time Valerie’s left headlamp wouldn’t pop out. And for one couldn’t possibly forget embarrassing moments like that.

So when I received a second phone call from Sasa informing me the change of venue of our meeting place from The Coffee Bean to Chili’s, I just had this huge grin on my face. Somehow, I knew I was gonna dine at Chili’s. Thank God for the Pelangi history book.

With Sasa greeting me at the entrance with her usual schoolgirl-like wave, I find myself immensely attracted to this big green restaurant. Finally, when Sasa whispered the magical invitation, there was no way I was saying no.

Once inside, it was déjà vu all over again. It was close to nighttime, Sasa was seated across me and a live ATP match was on. I remembered that quite vividly as the last time Sasa had the nerve to ask me, “Lindsay Davenport tu sape?” Oh nobody darling. She’s just the top 5 female tennis player in the world.

You see, this was Sasa’s treat which just adds to the excitement. A crave satisfied and someone else is paying for it? Well, top that, will you? Another good news is that this was sort of a pre-birthday present. I never had any of those before. Ever. I never even heard of the term before but I do hope that I’ll be experiencing more of these ‘pre-birthday gifts’ thingy in the future.

I was quite full at the time and I was such a cruel time to be so on your first ever visit to Chili’s in months. I had this notion on just having dessert, which inevitably an image of the Molten Chocolate Cake springs to mind, but that would be a sin to the occasion. And for once, I was feeling less guilty towards Sasa’s purse.

When dinner was over, Sasa gave me another delightful surprise. She wants to treat me dessert. Haagen Dazs to be exact. This is quite embarrassing to admit but despite my numerous attempts, I have never had the chance to taste this allegedly heavenly brand of ice-cream. So, you can pretty much imagine my joy when I found out I’m gonna have my first ever Haagen Dazs experience. Yeay~


So, there we were, in a strangely warm Haagen Dazs side outlet, I ordered the Pleasure Platter and believe me, should the air-conditioning worked, I would’ve trembled in pleasure every time I put a spoon in my mouth. Sasa was less extravagant with her small cup of single scoop ice-cream. She was persistent to go along with her, “Aku nak diet la, Faizad” line.

All in all, I think she spent about RM50 worth of meal on me. Well, it was the nicest RM50 meal I had in a long time and I definitely think it was worth it. But, of course, this was all pre-birthday. As I keep her company while she shops for her usual amenities, which lately includes a lot of Himalaya brand of products, I looked around to find some idea on what kind of actual birthday present I would want because, to tell you the truth, I have yet to be inspired.

We passed a Macintosh store and I instinctively pointed to an IPod mini.
With a sarcastic tone, this is what she said.

“Bole la, Faizad. Nanti tu jugaklah present kau utk 7 tahun akan datang”

Okaaay. That was the not the answer I was hoping for. That would mean what? I’m gonna get my next birthday present from her when I turn 30? Well, that can’t be good.

Next we passed a store selling watches. I knew I would get a ‘no’ for an answer but just for the sake of seeing her face of disapproval, I mentioned the name Tag Heuer and she quickly gave a glance of annoyance and a slight shrug. I just chuckled behind her. It’s always amusing to tease her.

At the end of the day, I still haven’t found any idea for my birthday present. Even now. But I am sure glad to have someone like Sasa who I can continuously enjoy delightful evening with. Even with her constant complaining of how tired she is at the end of a long day at work.

So, Sasa, thank you so much for the dinner and everything. I’ll let you know the minute I figure out what I want for my birthday. Or the next time I have a mischievous idea just to hear you membebel.

No comments: