Saturday, February 05, 2005

Zalina, My Saviour

“I’ll have the Monterey Chicken”

As those words filtered out of my mouth, it’s as if I was singing a song. They felt that magical.

Yes, ladies and gents, I was Chili’s again for the 2nd time in as many weeks. Last time it was in Bangsar, this time it was good ‘ol KLCC. The company was different though. I had Zalina for a change. The last good memory I had of her at that place was when we dined together during Puasa month when we did our internship. Her mother had some function later that evening and she asked me if I would mind joining her. Frankly, I was quite surprised by her sudden cordial invitation but then she uttered those magic words, “we could eat at Chili’s…” Oh honey, how could I ever say no to that?

This time it was brunch. We just got down from ESU acknowledging to them that we are well aware that it is time we pay back the amount of money that owe to Petronas that they so kindly lent to us during our stint at UTP, which I have used to purchase a few pair of shoes, a couple of designer perfumes and a some memorable trips, namely Pangkor and Penang among others. Oh, and occasional trips to Chili’s.

So, quite evidently, Apau was also there to join us in the flashy ex-students of UTP brunch. But, ah ha, there was another surprise. Zakian will be our 4th company at the table. How he wound up there, I don’t obviously know, nor care. Anyway, quite surprisingly, he was not that annoying as I’d thought he’ll be. He was a more civilized version of himself compared to when I saw him on stage at the Heritage during the Jan 2000 farewell dinner. But, I must tell you, for someone who wants to hit on Zalina, I wasn’t really impressed. I detected no charm whatsoever. Although, it is quite unfair to him because it was 3 against 1. Being members of Komuniti Lahanat, we do share a lot of inside jokes, which none of them would make sense to Zakian. One thing I do appreciate though is the fact that he didn’t try to impress me. Not like that other bloke. It was always been an issue among men whether or not to impress the male friend of your supposed love interest. It is generally agreed that it is a bad idea but some men tend to forget and once you crossed that fine line my friend, there is no turning back. Fortunately though, Zakian did not forget. And that pleases me, of course. Grateful even. But taking the whole afternoon into context alone, I have this inkling feeling that somehow Zakian and Zalina doesn’t seem right. It just doesn’t fit. Although their names are spelled almost alike and would certainly look nice on a wedding invitation card but I just feel that Zalina would be too much of a handle for Zakian. I think Zalina is slightly better off. I think he wouldn’t be able to fulfill her, or satisfy her. Simply put, I don’t think he’s good enough for her. Just like that line when Barbra Streisand told Pierce Brosnan in The Mirror Has Two Faces, “I know, I know but Robert, you’re not good enough for me” while putting her coat and slamming the door as she leaves his apartment. (I can’t help it. My mother loves the movie. She never missed it on HBO).

Well, one thing’s for sure, Zalina won’t be getting married so soon. Even when I mentioned the word ‘marriage’ she gave this oh-na-na-no gelengan kepala. The kind she gives when her other members try to persuade her to fool around at Ipoh until dawn when she will be having this important meeting early next morning. But I do wonder what will happen when Zalina does pass this British Council thingy and actually fly to UK. I guess that is, well, something to look forward to. Sweet little Zalina with an English accent. Now that is something I couldn’t quite able to imagine just yet. Oh my goodness, without realizing, I just made Zalina my theme for today’s blog. An appreciation on a sub-conscious level I suppose. Actually, it has been quite some time since I saw her. I even missed her at Sasa’s Raya banquet. So, in a way, I rindu her. Yeah, you might say that. But since she will be coming a lot to British Council in the next few coming weeks, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of time for us to fool around together. Along with her accidental pocket money, there’s promise. It seems I have found a new sparring partner. Haha~

So here’s to you, Zalina. Cheers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hie ex rumate...saje nak menyemak kat blog ko

Anonymous said...

perut ex rumate saya ni comel

Anonymous said...

WALAUPUN MUKAMU TIDAK KU KENAL!!TATAPI BULU DI BODY MU TATAP MENJHADI PUJAAN HATIKU!!!!!

Anonymous said...

At present, UTP offers the following Bachelor of Technology (Hons) programmes:

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY KP (JPS)5195/US/7 (9)
minor/electives in
• Financial Management
• Corporate Management

INFORMATION SYSTEMS KP (JPS)5195/US/7 (9)
minor/electives in
• Financial Management
• Corporate Management

Anonymous said...

The mace is a ceremonial instrument designed to reflect dignity and solemnity of the occasion where
it plays a special role. Conceived of traditional design and form, it is greatly influenced by ethnic
structures and carvings. The design proportion is in keeping with general dimensions of maces
used in other universities, and divided into three main sections.

Anonymous said...

spam mission completed.....
(jgn marah yek badoq...buhsan dowh kat opis ni..aunty kat pantry tu pun dah balik CNY so x de sape2 aku blh kaco kat opis ni)