Tuesday, January 04, 2005

A National Disgrace

It is truly a sad day. For any Malaysian football fans, it is surely a sad day. It was the Semi-final of the Tiger Cup. A 2-1 lead from the first leg to bring home to. At halftime of the 2nd leg, we were 3-1 up on aggregate. Nothing could possibly go wrong, right? Wrong. As a matter of fact, dead wrong. Indonesia scored 4 goals in the last 15 minutes. 4 goals! That is comical defending! I’d say I’ve never seen school girls play football but if I ever had, I bet they will play exactly how our national team played in the 2nd half. It was an appalling performance.
I for once thought that maybe this could be it. This year, maybe, we have a genuine chance of actually winning something. Maybe, just maybe. Then, as time has proven yet again, our national team disappoints their own fans in front of packed Bukit Jalil Stadium. Sure I was late. Sure I didn’t get a seat. Sure I didn’t catch Malaysia’s goal but I did saw Indonesia’s final nail into the coffin and it pierced through my heart. As I lay crouched in the shadows watching the celebrations by the Indonesians, I almost wept.

Such it the bitter end…

Such it a national disgrace…

No comments: