Saturday, February 19, 2005

Shall we dance, mademoiselle?

There have been some great movies in our time but few are truly inspiring. The kind of movies that makes you want to do something just like the movie depicts right after walking out of the theater. After sitting here for awhile I could think of two good examples. The first is Woman On Top, starring Penelope Cruz and it just goes to show how cooking can be full of passion and sensuous. The second one is Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, which coincidentally involves Cruz in a supporting role, tells the story of how in the middle of the Second World War there is still time for love and camaraderie with the help of a musical instrument which is the mandolin.

Watching the trailer a few months earlier, I had a pretty good feeling for Shall We Dance. Even when purchasing the cinema tickets at the counter when I had a little fun with the sweet GSC girl by the name of Suhana by saying,

“Shall We Dance,… Suhana?”

But the ‘Suhana’ trailed off under the conspicuous voice of Sasa who was apparently quirky in finding out about a new Siamese horror movie to be released at Imax. At this point, Suhana looks more grief stricken at the sudden interrogation-like questioning rather than a close colleague of Charlie (whom is a backroom staff at GSC Mid Valley Sasa was looking for).

Nevertheless, after leaving Suhana to attend other patrons without ever really asking her for a dance, which was the original plan at the time, but instead I have ticket stubs in my hand, which is not bad actually. Considering that was the initial plan before the original plan. Haih… anyway, you’d never guess who I ran into at the popcorn counter. A lady who proclaimed Afdlin Shauki was her son…it was Sarimah Ibrahim. Although obviously dressed down compared to when I saw her at Sudu, she is still stunningly beautiful. Too bad we weren’t sharing the same hall together. There was also Shebby Singh. A well built man. I had suspicion about him being a regular full back for the national team but now I take that back. One thing I could sum up is John Dykes must be one very tall person. He literally dwarfed Shebby every week in Football Focus.

Anyway, back to the movie, it was truly enjoyable. Even Sasa was less than enthusiastic at first when we decided on the movie but I knew this one came from the makers of Chicago so musical-wise, I was expecting quite a treat. Surely enough, we were swept off our feet. Even though Jennifer Lopez didn’t really excel apart from her sumptuous moves on the dance floor but you just can’t beat the dashing Richard Gere. With musical pieces such as Sway, Moon River and Book of Love accompanying in the background, it just would not go wrong.

All in all, I would say it was a very pleasant movie. A movie you wouldn’t mind watching twice at the cinema. A movie which I vote, would make an excellent first date movie. Instead of the usual kisses and poems associated with type of genre, this one focuses on appreciation. Last time I came across such a movie was Serendipity. There’s nothing more I can say except just go and watch it. And it would be a good idea to bring a partner along. I cannot guarantee a kiss by the end of the movie but I can guarantee a second date. Now, who would care to dance?

No comments: