Monday, October 06, 2008

Raya Stories

The question on everyone’s lips is do I ever get tired of listening to Justin Timberlake’s What Goes Around every time I visit my own blog?. The answer is a resounding YES! But I do have to be honest with you, it hasn’t stopped me from bopping my head or at least sing along to the tune every time either. It does give some life to my blog actually. Being a party tune and all. But, I do realize, every good thing must come to an end so yes, I’m writing in the slowly continuous hope to push the Timberlake entry further down and out of the loop. Which may take a few entries more. But fret not, just as they say, slow n steady, brader.

Right, as Mila would say it, wassup wassup!! (or as Caon like to imitate)

It is the 6th day of Raya and I can’t stop appreciating how the Islamic calendar, for once in my lifetime, coincide with the Roman calendar. We just look at the date, oh it’s October 6th, so it must be the sixth day of Raya. Even back during Ramadhan, someone asked, how many days have we fasted on one unparticular day? Well, it was the 21st of September. Go figure. For once, I was not totally in the dark about the exact day of Syawal 1st.

As for my celebrations itself, things are kept at a minimal this year. The family were supposed to get back to Kelantan for my cousin’s wedding on the third day of Raya but as fate would have had it, my sister in law had an awkward fall at the mosque where we had our Raya prayers that 1st Raya morning which ended up her having an MRI and an appointment with an orthopedic at Prince Court. Suffice to say, my brother now could not join the trip which would mean only my mother, sister and me are the only ones left to drive the atrocious 10 hour journey with traffic conditions which can only be described as ‘insane’. And from the looks of it, if we had gone through with the plan, most likely than not, I’ll be the one left to do all the driving. To and fro, in consecutive days. The original plan was to take turns behind the wheel between my brother and me. You know, I love driving, but not that much. In the end, we saved up a lot on travelling expenses by just staying put. It was how I preferred it anyway. Guilty about ditching the family get together, yeah, but happier too. It was one of those days when I couldn’t care less what anyone else says. Especially if they’re my relatives.

So, by staying put in KL, I have discovered, you know that myth when people talked about how deserted KL feels every time it’s Raya season because more than half of the city folks went balik kampung? I say myth because it’s not true anymore. Yes, loads of people left the city for the few days but I think there are just too much people in the city these days that even a huge exodus does not render the city streets completely free. There were still some considerable amount of vehicles on the road during the first and second day of Raya. I’ve experienced less traffic on a regular Sunday morning. And this was further proven when my brother visited the famed Jln Masjid India during the final night before Raya. It was pretty lenggang the few nights before as we were under the assumption many had done their shopping and were already on the road back home. Apparently, it seemed every one was on the know nowadays about the peddler’s practice of having selling at rock bottom prices at the last night as the streets were suddenly thronged to the limit. It was like during mid-day at mid-Ramadhan all over again. It was crazy. Someone should write a paper on this. It’ll be easy marks. ‘The Myth Behind the Raya Exodus’. It might even get you an Ig Nobel prize.

As for my next Raya plans, well, I do hope to get plenty of invites to open houses in the next coming weeks. I already have one tomorrow at Seremban at Kerel’s. Should be fun if enough of the boys turn up. Talking about open houses, that reminds me, it has been a while since I received an invite to Ara’s annual open house. I was terkilan (ghetu) when it first happened but to be fair I only attended once. And, besides, it’s not that I actually know anyone there anyway. Well, yeah, there’s Ara’s clique from UTP, but, you know, they’re her clique. And I’m pretty sure the guys don’t even watch football. You know what, I think it’d be less awkward if I do not get an invite. But, there are sure to be plenty of chicks there. Something Barney would have jump to. Quite literally too. We’ll see how this goes. In the meantime, I think I’ll do that thing Sasa tagged me to do. And in the next entry, I might talk about the naughty trip to Thailand. Cheers.

No comments: