Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Think I Love Jeans

It feels weird wearing jeans. It’s surprisingly comfortable. It has been ages since I put on a pair. I could not remember exactly why but I do think it has got to do with my earliest memories of wearing denim. It’s always tight at the crotch. And don’t even mention the seat. And, looking around at that time of people wearing jeans, that’s how they like it. I mean like, jeez, don’t you wanna have kids? Even I do. Well, maybe not back then at such a tender age. As a matter of fact, not even now, at a not-so-tender age.

But fast forward to today, after a few persuasive advice from friends and fascinating articles on denim from GQ and Esquire, I’ve decided to give it another chance. And, I’ll admit it, I get what people has been banging on about. Never mind they’re comfortable, it adds a certain dimension of coolness to it. And the key is it doesn’t have to be tight at the seat and crotch. Well, you can if you want to but it’s entirely up to you. Why haven’t I realize this before?

Anyway, point is, I think I love jeans. In fact, I’m already thinking of getting another pair. I would by now if not for my current acute gout attack which has forced me to be on house arrest since last weekend. I know, I know, I’m too young to have gout yada yada yada. I can’t help it if my enzymes could not break down uric acid as efficient as most people. So bite me!

Back to our story, despite my new found love for denim, I already can detect a potential fashion faux pas with it. That is falling in love too much with jeans. Oh yes, it’s not uncommon. I didn’t see it before because I couldn’t give a rat’s ass about people wearing jeans back then. But, as I look around today, it seems everyone wears jeans. Be it at the shopping mall, at the market, a car repair shop and most definitely, the mat remps. The problem with jeans is that they tend to be too comfortable that people wear them to everywhere. I mean, EVERYWHERE. Even at wedding receptions. Unless you’re working for the caterer, wear something more proper. Okay, exception maybe for the kind of reception with the huge canopies strewn across the street in front of the parents’ house. But the ones at night, held at 5 star hotel ballrooms? Please. Are we not decent? And if by weird justification you think there’s nothing to could possibly top jeans as a fashion statement, make sure it’s a decent pair. Not the same one you wore since the afternoon while washing your car. It shows. Make it dark, no holes (artificial or otherwise) and hemmed appropriately at the sole (your James Dean impersonation can wait, elsewhere).

And this is where quality plays a part. I bought my first pair of jeans in years from none other than Levi’s. And it’s worth it. If you hadn’t had steak for awhile, where would you go for one? Certainly not NZ where the beef lacks any form of texture. You go to Jake’s Charbroiled. Same principle here. Yes, once in a while you buy a pair at a pasar malam and it is just happens to be perfect. The colour’s right, the cutting fits and it cost less than RM50. Be it known though that such events are a rarity. Buy 10 more at the same place and it is a guarantee the rest will be crap. Instead, for the price of 10, you can get 2 decent branded pairs. And it is always better that way. And yes, it shows. It’ll last longer too. People always think buying expensive clothes are a waste just for the sake of the brand. I always think of it as an investment. Plus, it makes me happier when you unpack at home. It gives a warmer fuzzy feeling.

Dress well, men.

1 comment:

Watai said...

Congrattulations!at last!