Thursday, February 07, 2008

It's Time We Get Rolling

Immerse yourself. That is the only way one can write properly.

Good day, people. How are we doing today?

As I said before (though I can’t remember when), writing is as much artistic as taking a picture. You need some sense of tranquility to produce results. Not as much in the physical surroundings but within your inner-self. And that is something that has escaped me for the past month or so. My schedule has been brutal. And not in a way that it was filled with joyous and fun activities. Every fun and wonderful things that I have done during that period has always been on borrowed time. Time which I needed to pay for the nest day or so in torture. And you know how I can’t say ‘no’ to a brilliant plan. However, that is all in the past now. For now, at least.

Now, as I sit here, on the dawn of a Thursday, welcoming CNY, I have once again, found peace. And it’s about bloody time too, if you ask me. Then again, it’s not so surprising considering I spent the night before playing board games with Charlize Theron. And, obviously, I don’t mean the actual Ms Theron herself.

It is one of the things I meant to talk about since the beginning of the year. And I can’t begin ranting for the rest of 2008 without putting this out and clear first. So here it is. It seems virtually no harm is done when I do the occasional taunt at women in general. But the probability of getting myself screwed (and not in a good way) increases once I divulge into specifics i.e. using names. And not just the taunting and sarcasm. Sometimes even the honest intention of using over-flattering comments is seen as an invitation to trouble. You know how the world works. Jealousy and all. Even more troublesome when it borders on obsession.

Anyway, in view of this, I have decided to follow one of the cardinal rules of blogging – using nicknames. And chances are, you wouldn’t know who the nicknames I refer to apart from myself. Although I do have to mention that Pidot’s haircut looks so much like Javier Bardem’s character in No Country For Old Men that I have decided to call him ‘Javier’ since last night. He doesn’t know why I call him that but it always put a smile on my face every time I do it. Since Pidot is unlikely to be likened by Woody Harrelson to the bubonic plague and that irony makes it so much funnier.

Back to Charlize, you see, coming up with nicknames is quite tricky. Obviously, you can’t use nicknames that he or she is recognized with in real life. It has to be fresh, unheard of but at the same time relevant. Quite a mind boggle since I’m not Nate Wright.

Charlize Theron isn’t probably the best suited nickname I can come up with but it’s the one I got right now. Considering the actual her isn’t hardly South African or 6 ft something. I doubt she even reaches 5 ft. But she does has a certain persona about her and everyone loves her for it. Including me.

And so it became to be, I spent the good part of last night playing Taboo, but not just with Charlize. I mean, Javier was there too. So was Tobey Maguire and Ms Muffet (If these two ever find out the nicknames I pick out for them, it’s likely I’ll be on the receiving end of some degree of physical torture from them). And the rest of Charlize’s entourage. And she rolls quite deep. And quite a few more around but I’m getting tired of coming up with nicknames for now.

Anyway, here I am back writing. And hopefully so in the immediate future. Sadly to note, I didn’t make the deadline for the MPH KL Odyssey project. And it grieves me greatly. As I said, absence of tranquility. The idea of the story finally materialized but too little too late, I’m afraid. It was during one of those quick lunches I had to take when it suddenly hit me, ‘Oh, that’s a brilliant one,’. I managed to write a paragraph or two, in the end. It looks promising and tentatively entitled ‘The Holiday’. Though it would not have any resemblance to the Cameron Diaz + Jude Law flick. More towards Road Trip (though not as funny) and a little bit of Stand By Me (not as moving). But again, sadly, it was not done in time. Anyhow, I will continue to write it since time has given me a break now. And readily available piece should an opportunity such as this ever rises again.

On another thing, on a wholly different topic, I want to talk about New Year resolutions. Yes, I know it’s already February but then again, don’t think you think it’s about time to measure up how well you’ve done on that resolution of yours? Saved that RM200 you intend to every month? Lost any weight? Maybe even 1 kg perhaps? Less than a pack a day now?

What I don’t get about New Year resolutions are that people tend to have them as something they are unlikely or hate to do in the first place. And that is what I got so much beef about that I need to talk about it even it is slightly a month overdue to do it.

Things like quitting smoking, losing weight, spending less are basically self torture if you’re a chain smoker, loves those sundaes at Delicious and a confessed shopaholic. Why do you think we all love Bridget Jones so much? Because we can relate to her so much every time she breaks back into one of her old habits. It makes us laugh, true, but it also serves as a harrowing reminder. On that note, what I suggest is why don’t we make fun and exciting resolutions? To dress sexier to the office, for example. Or to go to New Zealand and do bungee jumping or, in my case, get fuckin’ published. Sure it might be difficult and not necessarily a defined path but aren’t all resolutions like that? One thing for sure, it’s definitely interesting to find out. And that creates plenty of motivation. The one thing you need to see it throughout. And it’d be nice to sit back one day and say, ‘it was so cold that day that I couldn’t piss in my pants even if I wanted to but I did bungee-jump in New Zealand,

And with that, I have rejoined the bandwagon of having a New Year resolution. Getting published is probably my secondary resolution. My primary one is to venture out. And I intend to do that by organizing a trip with my mates within the South East Asia region. Oh yeah! Exotic booties here we come!


I know it’s not that grandeur since some people I know have made trips to Australia and Europe like their annual balik kampung trip. Come to think of it, they are! Since some actually do have homes there. Talk about being fed with a silver spoon. But it has to be noted that some of us are a little less fortunate. Some of us are not that spoilt (matilamak). So, if all goes well, a trip to Thailand, or Indonesia maybe, sometime mid-year and hopefully, a continuation and real-life inspirations for The Holiday.

2008 has been an absolute bitch so far for me. I didn’t have time to celebrate my own birthday, for crying out loud, let alone organize a party (and getting presents for all my troubles for that matter). Hopefully things will slightly change beginning this Saturday.

Cheers for a memorable 2008. And to ‘Charlize’, my personal Sexiest Woman Alive 2007.

No comments: