Thursday, September 21, 2006

Talking Movies (an off-beat edition)

A couple of days ago I was at Low Yat, browsing through some ‘original’ DVDs at this store called Movie World. There was this other guy beside me who I noticed was getting restless because, I assumed, he couldn’t find anything that he would fancy. At one point, he stretched his neck over the counter where he saw the taukeh sorting a few DVDs to be placed into the cabinet behind him and asked, ‘Wah, pirates ah?’ motioning his head to a low stack at the side of the counter.

‘Er…yeah’ the taukeh answered.

‘Part 1 or part 2?’ the guy asked again, eagerly.

‘It’s not Pirates of the Carribean. It’s Pirates,’ the taukeh now giving him the look that any 17-year-old boy would have immediately understood. And yet, this 30-something guy was puzzled. So he picked up a copy instead and examined the cover.

‘Oh…’ the guy said finally, grasping what the taukeh had meant. He slowly put back the Pirates copy to its low stack on the counter, realizing that he had done something embarrassing and returned to his previous spot and pretended to flip through the other booklets that he had exhaustively went through earlier on. Needless to say, he left soon after that.

I found this scene rather amusing because I have a copy of Pirates myself. I downloaded it a few weeks back and it’s quite good. Keira Knightley’s character is especially hot. And although the ship is definitely CGIed but it’s better looking than any our local movies could produce. There was even praise from Newsweek quoted on the cover. I don’t know how much truth went into that. I don’t know if this is worth mentioning but I also have a movie entitled ‘The Da Vinci Load’. It’s not as good as Pirates but as it’s by Larry Flynt, it is quite funny.

Speaking about movies, I was surfing the Net and I stumbled upon this.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Apparently the Over The Hedge movie is based on a comic strip. Ah another borrowed idea from Hollywood. But I think the comic strip is better because unlike the movie it doesn’t need to end. The lunacy can just keep going on and on. And who can’t get enough of RJ, Verne and Hammy?

Now here’s a question of the day.

How do you feel if your car is featured on Pimp My Ride. Of course, if you’re driving a Proton or a Perodua then this question wouldn’t apply to you. But those of you driving around in a Japanese or a European make, what’d you think?

Well, I had my car featured on the show yesterday. I drive a 1990 Toyota Celica. Pretty decent car I guess. Still looks good despite being 16 years old. If there was a baby born on the same day my car was made, he/she would be studying in Form 4 now.

Anyway, Ity brought the show to my attention last night because I was watching Horatio Cane and his gang at the time. She even called me all the way from Johor just to make me change channels. So I did. At first I was pretty excited. I thought it was kind of cool to watch your car on Pimp My Ride. But you know what? It wasn’t. Because it made me realize two things.

One: if your car is featured on the show, then it means that the model has been around long enough for someone to abuse it beyond fucking recognition. Two: once the West Coast people has the car pimped, it just goes to show how much potential your car has in terms of pimpinality and how inadequate the current state of your own car is. Sure Valerie is ain’t as bad as the one shown on the telly but there a few dents and scratches. My rims aren’t that bling and I don’t have an IPod Nano, a smart phone and a G4 iBook hooked on to my car that would able to supply me 4 years of music without having to hear the same song twice. But I’ll live.

Ah another whiny post. I should stop whining. It turns women off. Mainly because by doing it we are taking over one of their roles.

My highlight of the day, of course, is the upgrade of my office laptop. Now I’ve got style and wireless connectivity. I can finally be one of those snobby people at Starbucks checking their e-mails on their notebooks. Unlike the previous notebook which weighs like it’s made out of lead. And a battery life of about 30 seconds. Now it’s slimmer and has Bluetooth capabilities. Ooh geek-talk.

The fasting month is coming in a few days. By next week there’ll be no more chillin’ during lunchtime and no fag breaks at the office. If you have the eagerness to go karaoke-ing with some butterflies then I suggest you do it quick. Not that it’s less sinful in doing it now rather than later but I guess it does make you feel less guilty. Funny how the human conscious works.

Before I end this post, I’ll leave you with this joke from AskMen.com

Pinocchio has just turned 16 years old and Geppetto thinks to himself: "My son is going to take an interest in girls, I had better explain to him about the birds and the bees."
So he spends time telling Pinocchio about girls and sex and making love and all that. Pinocchio listens intently and then goes off to experiment.
Some time later, Geppetto sees his son and asks, "How's it going with the girls?"
Pinocchio replies, "Great! I'm doing fine, except that all the girls are complaining about splinters."
"Oh dear," says his father, "all I can suggest is that you smooth things over first with some sandpaper."
Some time later, he sees his son and asks, "How's it going with the girls?"
"Who needs girls when you've got sandpaper!"

2 comments:

afiq said...

haha.. the joke bit is fucking funny.~~

I'm still puzzled: you have a copy of Piratesxxx or Pirates of the Carribean?

Anonymous said...

gufodotto(http://gufodotto.blogspot.it):

oh god this joke was funny...

on another note, thanks a lot for bring 'Over the hedge' to my attention. I didn't know of the existence of the comic strip... will check it out, though.

overall, nice blog. will link you in mine, and come again...