Tuesday, February 14, 2006

February 14th

There are supposed to be at least two prefects to monitor the school’s office hallway. To prevent other children from running around and make unnecessary noises around the area during recess time. It was at SRK Gombak 1 and I was one of those prefects. I was 9 years-old and my partner for the day was a brown-haired girl with blue eyes who went by the name of Lily. I suspect her to be of a Eurasian descent because I never did ask her because the term was unknown to me back then.

She was already lovely back then. But since we were both 9, the feeling of affection never came naturally to us. I merely viewed her as a colleague. Now, years later in 2006, how I wish to meet her once again. I’m still hoping for that dream to come true, now and again. I could only imagine the 24 year old version of Lily. She must be absolutely gorgeous, with her delicate smile and contagious laugh. She would’ve been every boy’s dream. Sadly, my memory only stretches as far back to standard 3 because by the time I reached 10, my whole family had to move to Kuantan. And there, I was enrolled to an all-boys school because it was one of the top schools in the district. Sure enough, I got 4As in my UPSR, which led me to SAS, one of the top schools in the country but also an all-boys school. During all the important development years of my life I have spent in at all-boys schools. Imagine if I had co-ed all this time. I would have been some Casanova. It’s true. Even during those Lily days, she and I were always on good terms. And I had very friendly relationships with all of her friends. Oh how much would I give to be still in touch with Lily. She might have been my first crush but it took me years to realize that. But do I actually regret about sacrificing a what-might-have-been to pursue a better education? No, I could not. No one can. How could anyone substitute good education for a childhood fling? It’s just unthinkable. In my case, it just has to be classified as being unfortunate. Life isn’t fair. As far as Lily is concerned, she is probably someone’s wife by now. Or even mother. There are other fishes in the sea. True. But you always had that revisiting memory of that one that got away.

My little story for today. Happy Valentine’s Day.

1 comment:

KEF said...

Faizad, Happy Valentine's Day!

Your words hit me straight in the face.

Yes, there are many fishes in the sea but the memory of the one that got away, was sort of a dejavu for me.

You just reminded me of my kindergarten and primary school crush!