Tuesday, June 14, 2005

An Evening with Ity

The KLCC Convention Centre is certainly huge. With all the suit-wearing people walking along the massive hallway, I couldn’t help myself but feel a little bit intimidated and out of place. But once Ity came into view from her exhibition booth, everything suddenly felt calming and refreshed.
The last time I saw Ity was a couple of months ago, even before I started the MICPA hullabaloo. That’s at least 2 months ago. Even then, I only saw her, at most 10 minutes. So you can say it was a case of too little too late. Followed by last week’s mishap, I thought, lady luck is surely against me in meeting up with this girl. But turns out, fate wasn’t that cruel and I did get to spend time with her. Twice. In consecutive days. Yesterday at the Ascott, where she was staying and my, what a bloody nice place. Owning an apartment there are what dreams are made of. Although, I didn’t actually go up to her place, just the vicinity of the area but still, I couldn’t help but be impressed. And today, at the Oil and Gas Asia Exhibition. In the years I’ve known her, I have become accustomed to seeing her in her fun and trendy mode if not her drowsy-just-woke-up-Sunday-morning look. When she came to greet me wearing this suit, I just thought, “Wow, now that’s a version of Ity I never saw before,”. As if she was projecting this classy and sophisticated woman of the corporate world vibe. It was kind of pleasing. Different but rather thrilling nonetheless. But once we got into a conversation, ah yes, it’s still the same Ity I know. Just in a different packaging. And she was working so hard at the booth that poor girl. But every time she looks up, she always have a smile for me. Despite her constant complaining of how her feet are killing her from standing all day long. It was when she is about to leave at the end of the day that I felt rather poignant watching her disappear from view as I descended down the escalator to the underground walkway. I just have this gut feeling that the next time I’ll see her will be in another few months time. An unrelinquished farewell filled with pathos.

One would question my reasons in chronicling everything from a, basically a simple evening rendezvous with a close friend. I must admit it’s not as if anything dramatic or of momentous event had took place that needed the world’s attention. But on a personal level, I just felt obliged to put something down, perhaps as an aptly reminder of a nice evening with Ity. The only regret that I have was she wouldn’t let me pinch her cheek (did that came out wrong?).

No comments: