Saturday, May 14, 2005

What's In A Name?

Now, I have an interesting story to tell you. This happened last week. You see, it was my sister’s 21st birthday and the whole family decided to go out and celebrate. We went to Maju Palace, a quaint Chinese restaurant at Maju Junction and the meal was surprisingly pleasant. The occasion was, as expected, fun and enjoyable but what really made it an unforgettable event to me that night was the conversation at the table.

I don’t know why but only after more than 20 years did this thing came up. It was the about the siblings’ names i.e. us. The whole quadruple. 3 boys and 1 girl. Our mother finally laid the story before us, revealing behind-the-scenes facts which neither any of us had ever thought of asking about for the past 2 decades.

Fadhlan, the eldest, had his inspired from a legendary Islamic figure. Our father came up with this and it was naturally appropriate that the patriarch decides the name for the first-born. As the name originated from the Arabs thus it too was spelled in their alphabet. There was a indecisive moment initially whether to put faz-lan or fadh-lan on the birth certificate. The latter was chosen because it gave a more sense of power and authority. 26 years later on, we all agreed it is still the right choice.

My sister’s name has a much more colourful background. Her name was inspired from a 70’s Malaysian movie entitled ‘Abang’ and Her Majesty The Queen of Jordan at that time. Our mother played around with those two names and came up with Faradila. Not bad, eh?

The youngest one, Fawwaz, was the easiest. His name came from a book listing Muslim baby names which includes all their wonderful meanings. Fawwaz translates to ‘The Successful One’. Lot less dramatic but admirable enough.

Of course my name is which I am most interested in. For all these years, I have always thought my name originated from the word ‘faiz’ which also translates from Arabic as ‘The Successful One’. Literally this is correct, but it was never the intention when my mother picked the name 'Faizad' for me. I never saw this one coming but my name is actually inspired from, get this, Dato’ Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, current Minister of Women, Family and Community Development.

When I first heard this I couldn’t believe it myself. The story? Well, apparently during her high school years, the then young Sharizat was already a leading character at Tunku Kurshiah College. Being a junior at the time, my mother couldn’t help but look up and admire her. “We used to call her Kak Ijat,” my mother told me. It wasn’t long before she decided to name one of her children ‘Ijat’ one day. Well, guess which bundle of joy that received that privilege? It was due to the fact that our father wanted to maintain all his children to have names beginning with the letter ‘F’ and the name ‘Faizat’ just sounds wrong that I ended up with Faizad. Don’t get me wrong I have no complaints against my name, I practically love it but should I’ve been born a girl, I can almost assure you that I would be named Shahrizat.

As of now, I have to view Dato’ Seri Shahrizat in a different light. Along the years I couldn’t say I’ve always agreed with her on things, with regards to her opinions and principles. She’s currently one of the iconic figures of women in Malaysia and she achieved this by always be the first to fight for women’s right and freedom. Being a man I couldn’t help but come up with a cynical “What now?” response every time she launches a new campaign or seminar on women. Well, I couldn’t now. Now I have to acknowledge and support all of her efforts because, uite frankly, downgrading her would mean downgrading myself. It's just how I see it. I mean, in a way, I am a part of her, albeit only her name. It’s more like an ethical issue for me. My mother respects her enough to name me after her. It would only seem rational that I follow suit. Respect thee. I don't usually grant my respect out whimsically but I couldn't put an argument here. But please, inspired from a woman, my name is, but wear pink and watch Oprah, I still would not.

1 comment:

SasaShasha said...

somehow, our names are related since my full name is sharifah shahrizad. anyway, i'm already recovered from that food allergy, but sadly, still i'm afraid to take prawn. so when we are going to sheraton? =p~