Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sunburst-ing This Saturday

I hope it doesn’t rain. Because that was the only downside last year. And we’re not talking about a 5 minute drizzle here. It was one of those monsoon-like downpours. Water droplets so big it hurts when it hits you. And, if I remembered correctly, it lasted for nearly two hours. And it didn’t stop there. Consequently, they were pools of water everywhere. If that didn’t ruin your shoes then the globs of mud formed afterwards definitely will. Thankfully, it was a 12-hour long event. So, eventually, the water dried up, the ground became less squishy but, sorry, your feet will continue to stink long into the night. Just don’t ‘air’ them until you get home.

Any hoo, Sunburst will return this Saturday. (Can I get a boo yah? BOO YAH!!) And all music fans nationwide rejoice. Even though it almost didn’t turn out that way.

All I can say is, thank you, Korn, for agreeing to come and give us something worth to shout about.

I am one of those who bought the early-bird tickets so that I can save a good 60 bucks, especially important in these economic downtimes, and, I’m sure as with quite a few people, I did have my doubts. It was the final day before the RM60 discount expires and in that moment in time the headliners were N.E.R.D. and below them, Butterfingers. No disrespect to these people as they are much better musicians than I can ever hope to be, but I did gave a pass on seeing Rihanna and Jason Mraz because I thought paying that much to see them perform just wasn’t worth it. You think I’m going to spend 12 hours outdoors for an event that culminates with Pharrell Williams and friends ‘moving’ people? Exactly my thought. But, there I was. Sitting in my car, a Sunburst ticket in my hands, shaking my head in disbelief. I could be making my first big mistake of the year. But, if anything to go by, they had to make it better, right? That’s what you normally do after a successful first outing, right? Much to my chagrin, and I think with all early-bird ticket holders, all we can do is hope. Like when Liverpool had to play at Old Trafford. See how well things turned out over there, eh?

Rumours from last year said they were planning for Smashing Pumpkins. That never even comes close to materialize. But the one people keep hampering about was Coldplay. Judging from the success of their latest album, they are certainly big. And I mean globally. Publicity wise, it would have been brilliant for them to come to Sunburst. But, for me, personally, Coldplay isn’t exactly what I’d want to finish off a music festival. They’re sort of mellow. Sort of soft rock. You couldn’t really imagine a mosh pit forming at a Coldplay concert, do you?

But, thanks to that Grammy win, they’ve raised their price a bit (or so goes my theory) and so Coldplay no longer became an option. And I couldn’t be more excited when I found out Korn was the back-up plan.

I have wanted to see Korn live for so long that I’ve given up on that dream. Now, it became so ridiculously simple. This Saturday I’ll be seeing Korn live. With my early-bird ticket. I’m psyched. And, come to think of it, I don’t care if it rains.

No comments: