Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Art of Craig's Dimple

This is going to sound incredibly gay. But I love Daniel Craig. Honest to God, I could not get enough of him. It’s the only reason I bought my first ever copy of Time Out KL. Countless times they’ve put scantily-clad babes (and some of them well-known) on their covers and not once had I flinched even to be merely interested in buying them. This month they put a picture of him on it plus an exclusive interview inside and suddenly I’m a sucker of consumerism. But since I was on my way to see Abby when I picked it up, this was a sucker with a purpose.

There is a nice full page close up of Craig in the mag and I showed it to my ever trusting, gorgeous-as-hell hairstylist and, pointing to his head, asked, ‘Can you do something like that?’ And she answered, ‘Yeah, sure’

To be completely truthful here, yes, I do currently sport a hairdo akin to the new Bond but it is not that noticeable. There are a couple of reasons for this. One, I’m not blond. Two, I do not have a chiseled face. And three, most importantly, I’m not Daniel Craig. However, in my own private universe, I’m as happy as a bloody peacock. And that, is what really matters. Even in actual sense, it does not deviate incredibly from my usual do. Sadly though, considering the growth rate of my hair and the current climate, it’ll most probably outgrow by this time next week.

But, hairdos aside, that is not the only aspect that I can take cues from my newly found affinity for a male celebrity (ever). The biggest reason why I love Daniel Craig so much is the way the man dresses. It’s fuckin’ immaculate. You know the reaction girls give every time Orlando Bloom comes on screen as Legolas in any of the LOTR trilogies? That was my reaction watching Quantum of Solace. Only that I didn't sound like I suddenly ovulated. I was transfixed as a man would in the presence of a better man. Plus a lot of under the breath cursing. It was embarrassing at times. That man can pull off almost anything given to him. Well, yes, he does has his suits specifically tailored by Tom Ford but still, even with the cuts and bruises, rumpled hair and covered in sand dust, he still looks better than some of us on our best days.

But while dressing up in a suit on a regular basis is not something that I’d be doing in the near future even with the hope permanent employment, it's because simply it’s not in our local work culture. And, therefore, not really imperative to take down suit tips. However, people here at least do have the decency to wear ties. And I’ve recently discovered the sartorial importance of the tie dimple.

I have known its existence for years but I never been quite fond of it. Because, basically, it’s a heightened flaw. Now, why would anyone do that? Isn’t dressing good the overall point? So, for years, I have perfected my Half-Windsor knot to not include the dimple. And I have been a smug every time I look myself in the mirror admiring my accurately formed piece of fabric fastened around my collar. Oh what a fool I have been.

It is not until recently that I have discovered what the dimple actually represents. It is a symbol of finesse and sophistication on a man’s attire. It's the imperfection that. It's the same thing with the rumpled shirt and the single-buttoned jacket. And despite its relatively small contribution to the overall wardrobe, it does lend a difference from the next man. And we all know how important that is.

And so, having practiced the wrong way all this time, it will take a considerable amount of time to learn the new, or should I say, proper way of tying the tie knot. Of course, like making spaghetti, it easier said than done. Practice makes perfect, they say. Just put your finger flat on the fabric below the knot before you tighten it, they say. Well, if I have a requirement to wear a tie every day (e.g. to the office) to provide ample opportunity for practice, I would not complain so much, but alas. There will come a moment when I will need to wear a tie and I will not be able to do the proper dimple. And that is just an annoying thought. I can not spend half an hour standing in front of the mirror knotting and unknotting all the while perspiring from all the anxiety.

Sigh.

On the subject of ties, I do have to remind myself not to buy anymore. I went through my tie drawer the other day and I could not believe how many I actually own. Including an Armani which I totally forgot I bought for the sake of a Black and White dinner party and have only worn on that occasion alone. It’s still perfectly preserved in its original packaging. Funnily, despite my vast array of choices, I still do not possess the quintessential bright solid, dark striped and textured. I do have a bright solid which looks very dated. And not so bright. What I do have is the supporting cast. The black, the yellow and even a beige. And have I told you I finally found myself the dark grey wool like Steven Alan’s. I found it at My Tie Shop and, curiously, it’s not made out of wool. It’s 70% cotton and 30% silk. But it does look and feel wooly. Good enough for me. And the shade is just perfect. I even bought matching pants.

And so, even reminding myself not to purchase any more ties, it does seem inevitable that I will do exactly the opposite. I can’t believe it. I’m a tie nut. And I don’t even get to wear them.

And the tie dimple. Damn. How does Daniel make it look so perfect? Have I told you much I love the guy? Sigh. Dress well, men.

The perfect dimple. Sorry, best pic I could find. I blame Sony.

No comments: