Monday, March 17, 2008

How I Reached Musical Puberty at Sunburst

I never understood Woodstock. It is widely regarded as one of the most pivotal moments in the history of rock and roll. And yet, I didn’t get it. I understand the size of it. I mean, literally, spreading across an area 600 acres wide, but how on earth can someone listen to music for days non-stop? Surely, no one is THAT hardcore. But, then again, it was during the hippie era. So, chances are, most of them were probably too stoned to be aware of what is happening around them anyway.

That was my theory. Up until a few days ago, at least. Because, since then, I went to this little event at Bukit Kiara during the weekend called the Sunburst Music Festival and, suffice to say, it gave me a whole new perspective, and opened my eyes on what Woodstock might have actually been.

Of course, Sunburst was nothing compared to Woodstock which ran for 3 days. This only lasted for 12 hours (and yes, the word ‘only’ is entirely appropriate). And yet, looking at the number of performances, it was quite comparable. Woodstock had 32 artists while Sunburst had 28. But we had 4 stages compared to 1 at that time which explains the 3 days. And it helps, as times change. As opposed to having to sit, or stand for that matter, through a performance which you are not quite a fan of, you can walk to another stage offering a different genre of music, one which you would prefer. And that what exactly I was doing throughout Saturday evening. And it’s such a brilliant concept.

A music festival such as Sunburst takes the best element of a party and concert and mix them up together while leaving out the less favorable aspects. For the good 12 hours or so, you have live music pumping on full volume all around you which beats any high-end stereo system money can buy. You’re out on a field so no worries about ruining your neighbours’ bedtimes. No cramped up spaces because you can choose whether to go crazy into the moshpit, stand on the outer rims for simple enjoyment, or take a break and go get something to eat and chill at the designated tented areas where tables and seats were provided. If you bring along a mat with you, by all means have a picnic. Chill or party, back and forth, anytime you please.

Attending Sunburst has taught me that a music festival such as this is more than just the live music. It’s more of the get-together factor. It was reported that around 12000 people came and it sure looked like it. When that amount of people came together to one place in view of having a good time, it tends to rub-off against you no matter who you are. Saying that, the music wasn’t exactly that bad either. The cream of the show has to be Incubus. It was better than the last time they came around. This time they had a bigger stage, more crowd and they responded by giving a more energized performance. John Legend was equally good too. The girls (and maybe even some married women) were screaming hysterically throughout his show. And I think that lady from Brickfields who got to slow dance with him on stage might have some sleepless nights ahead. The Roots, George Clinton + P-Funk and Incognito made me feel like I was on MTV. And it was a good opportunity for the local bands too. I was particularly pleased to finally see those guys perform properly on stage. One Buck Short, Meet Uncle Hussein, Bittersweet, Hujan and even Pop Shuvit. And, might I add, Che’Nelle as really a surprise package. When she went on stage and asked if anyone has bought her album, I think most of the spectators, including myself, were quite embarrassed because only a handful raised their hands. Sure, her hit is the ever addictive I Fell In Love With The DJ, but when she belted out one of her ballads, which I never knew existed, it was a magnetically captivating performance. If I were to compare her, I’d say she only comes second to Christina Aguilera. She is that good. And not to mention she is quite the hottie. You just can’t go wrong with a fluffy short skirt and knee-high boots. She might as well been in the Lady Marmalade video (wait a minute…).

Overall, I truly enjoyed myself there. Even though it rained for a good hour so, but hey, same thing happened in ’69. Along with some of my mates, it was definitely an event that deserves to be on the calendar annually. People of Pineapple Concerts, I beg you. It can only get better in the future.

The drawbacks? Food and drinks were too expensive, of course as one might have expected. RM3 for a small bottle of mineral water. Hot Dogs and Burgers were RM8 and RM10 respectively even if they were made by Planet Hollywood. Thankfully KFC and Pizza Hut were also around to provide some sense. But so were Haagen-Dasz and Coffee Bean (which I guess did not do too well considering the evening weather). However, expensive as they were, people still have to eat and most of them ran out even before John Legend came out, which was about 10.30 PM, I think. Taking into account the event wrapped up around 2.30 AM, it was obvious they underestimated how much jumping and singing-along can use up a lot of energy.

By the end of it, despite being exhausted, sleepy, hungry and incredibly uncomfortable running around in wet shoes since 5 PM, I’m will use a phrase which is a cliché but there is simply no better way to say it - Sunburst was just fucking awesome! And the memory of seeing Megan shaking her booty was a nice sweet desert to top it all off. Despite there are 6000 more other hotties walking around. God bless music.

No comments: