Thursday, January 19, 2006

What's Happening?

Encore for Baik Punya Cilok! Yes, I know I said I was going to watch it with Tomok the other day but it was sold out. So I only managed to watch it recently. And it was good. For a Malaysian film I was pleasantly surprised. It was like Snatch but a little bit off-paced. For a comedy of that kind, it has to keep the audience guessing to make it work. But those flashback shots accompanied by amusing narration ala dikir barat style was quite ingenious. That Aben guy really has a few tricks up his sleeves.

I would like to give special recognition to The Notebook. I saw it for the second time last night on HBO and I thought, what a beautiful story. Last time I gave such recognition was for La Vita e Bella (Life Is Beautiful – no pun intended!). Notebook is based on a Nicholas Sparks’ novel of the same name so it wasn’t that surprising on how the storyline was elegantly portrayed. Other Nicholas Sparks’ books turned movies are Message in a Bottle and A Walk To Remember. Though I find the movie versions of Bottle to be soggy and Walk lame. But Notebook certainly hit the right note (pun intended).

Other news, I heard on the radio the other day, unsure whether it was Hitz or Fly, and they have this competition going on in accordance with Valentines Day. Now, that is good and cruel at the same time, depending on how you look at it. Good for those absent minded boyfriends because they get an aptly reminder way beforehand and cruel for those single ones because they too get an aptly reminder way beforehand. We’re just midway through January and here we are already talking about Valentines Day. I know who is most happy with this though – the florists. Ooh those bloodthirsty mongrels. Just because it’s Valentines, they would charge bouquets of flowers three-folds at least for the prices. It’s absurd. Well, men are left with really no choice. Pay the price to the florist or “pay” the price to the missus. It’s a lose-lose situation. Oh do you remember that girl that was featured on the cover of The Star a while back because she received 999 roses from of her boyfriend for her birthday? It cost the dude RM3500. His justification? “Money is not a factor as long as she is happy,” What an idiot. RM3500 can get you a nice Hugo Boss suit or even a Tag Heuer watch. While those roses would only last about two weeks the most, the suit and watch could last a good few years. It’s amazing how a few men can be such suckers for the entrapment of the so-called love.

Harith Iskandar will be returning to stage next month for his But That’s Another Story, Again! It’s unclear whether it’ll be a whole new act, a continuation or just an improvement of the first installment. Later news will follow.

I’ve a new perception regarding the burlesque group, The Pussycat Dolls. But yet, I prefer to reserve my judgment for the time being. There’s still a few grey areas that I need further convincing. Till posted.

Cheers. Au revoir.

No comments: