Wednesday, July 20, 2005

An Evening with Ning

To answer your question, yes, I am referring to Ning Baizura. Come on, how many Nings do you know in your life anyway? And no, I am not lying. I DID have an evening with her yesterday. Just not in the same manner I had with the adorable Ity and the fashionista, Ara. She was on stage, doing what she does best – singing, and I had to share her, with a hundred or so other people in the auditorium. But, it was not the less endearing, to say the least. Did I enjoy it? Pretty much so, yes. If not, then I wouldn’t be writing about it, wouldn’t I?

Strange thing is, it was the first live performance by a local artist that I have attended to, since a very long time. The last time, now it took me quite some time to recall this but the last time I went to see a local artist performed live was Too Phat. When they were opening for Linkin Park a while back. Now when was that exactly? Probably more than a year ago. God, that’s bloody long.

So, anyway, like I said, I really enjoyed it. Powerful, captivating, enchanting. Not that I expected anything less. Well, even so, let’s not take any credit away from Zainal Abidin. He was performing too last night and he still got that magnificent voice of his.

Apart from the burnt out candle and a yellow, heart-shaped placard bearing the words ‘I love (in the shape of a heart) Zainal’, I find myself being quite fond of Ning. But I cannot say the same about Zainal though, unfortunately. 13 years ago then yes but now, let’s just say that my musical taste had evolved. However I do like Puteri and was completely blown away on how he rendered Suraya. But, Ning, oh God, she’s just fantastic. Though I must say she does look a bit thinner I would’ve imagined. I certainly like her coming-of-age look, nowadays. Elegant, sophisticated, long gone the bad girl image of the industry she once portrayed. And not to mention the big 3-0. Yes, she is. Last June. 28th. She’s been around that long. Quite amazing. One wouldn’t expect if you’re thrown away be her 17-year-old schoolgirl like comments such as, “OK, tak?” and “Suka tak lagu tu?” after some songs, as if to please her first ever audience. But we all know what an established singer she is.

The point is, I really enjoyed myself last night. I have to thank my darling Sasa for that. Always comes up with the loveliest surprises. In a totally unrelated news, my blog has reached 1000 hits! Hooray! Still, that is a long way to match the controversial Sarong Party Girl Blog which, last time I checked, recorded more than a million hits. A million I tell you. That is like CNN or Bloomberg websites. You should try giving that blog a look you know. I think it’s pretty good. Yes, I know she posted naked pictures of herself on it but I am not as daft to promote based on that factor alone. Unless you are a ‘kolot’ minded Malaysian, you will realize there is an artistic value behind those pictures. And chances are those pictures are not readily viewable on the site (gotten banned or something) but if you know how to fiddle around with that mouse of yours, then you wouldn’t have trouble navigating your way around those minor obstacles. Oh, I seemed to have made a mistake, it is now 2 million hits. 2 bloody million hits. What on Earth’s name…

Oh, here’s the link, http://sarongpartygirl.blogspot.com/ if you may.

Change of topic. Remember that movie counter girl I was talking about? Of course you remember. Well, I think it will be irrational to pursue that dream at the moment. The sole reason being I am on study leave currently for my coming do-or-die exam next week. I already wasted enough time watching Ning last night and War of the Worlds last Monday. I couldn’t afford to waste any more. Not at the price of losing flunking my exam. Even at the expense of potentially lovely date with a gorgeous girl, who I would die to caress her soft, raspberry-colored lips my fingertips with.
Words. For now, they are merely just words. In two weeks time, maybe something more meaningful. In the meantime, nothing more.
For a person whom I do not know the name of, and the only words I uttered to her were just “War of the Worlds” and “11.30”, I am becoming rather obsessive. Oh I need to get out more. Meet more people. Meet more women. Then I wouldn’t be having these disturbing thoughts. Sadly though, beautiful women are hard to come by these days. And more sadly, most of them ended up with men who don’t deserve them. It’s quite tragic. All those splendour left unappreciated. Oh how would I love to call someone right now and ask for a drink across town. But time is all too envy. Decisions, decisions…

No comments: