Wednesday, January 07, 2009

To Boycott, Or Not To Boycott

You know, all this talk about boycotting all US products and goods as a form of protest in regards of what’s happening in Gaza? Yeah. Well, thing is, I’d like to think of myself as a good person. I think most of us do. But, is it just me or is it really that hard since they make some good shit over there? I mean, I get a copy of GQ magazine every month and, if they put Elijah Wood on the cover then maybe, yes, I’d give this time a pass in support of the protest. But, no. Things are just not that simple. This month of January they put Jen Aniston on the cover wearing just a tie. Let me say that again just to be clear. JUST. A. TIE! And it’s not even tied properly. She just fiddles with it. How can I discard that? How can any man discard that? The fact that she’s 40 and Brad’s ex is merely inconsequential.
In case you were wondering, the tie is from Brooks Brothers

And this doesn’t end there. I haven’t seen Yes Man and The Spirit yet. This isn’t Rachel Getting Married or PS I Love You. These are two very bloke-y films. I can not consider myself a movie fan if I don’t at least see one of them. A Jim Carrey comedy and a 300-style epic (plus Mendes and Johansson)? How can you argue with that? Now, before you start wiggling your finger at me and accuse me of not be more supportive of locally made films, okay, I’ll admit it was my bad for missing Antoo Fighters since I myself would have really liked to see how Alin fared in her debut role. But I did catch Lost Dan Faun and thoroughly enjoyed it. As if I would have missed any Afdlin Shauki flicks anyway. As for Histeria, well, not yet but that’s because, let’s face it, Malaysia just could not make a good horror film. And, yes, that includes Jangan Pandang Belakang. The reason Histeria is doing so well at the box office is because of the lesbian kiss scene. No matter how much you deny it, sex sells. Especially a girl-on-girl action. Which makes me wonder why haven’t Astro started showing The L Word? C’mon, we had Will and Grace!

And this is just me. If you really like to broaden the picture, then picture this. For you ladies, no more Oprah or Gossip Girl. For you men, no more Marlboros. Music lovers, no more Beyonce or Justin Timberlake. Nor Rihanna nor The Jonas Brothers. The new season of American Idol? Ha!

And the biggest heartbreak of all? I’m afraid it’s you, Star Wars fans. You have to stop fantasizing about Queen Amidala.

We can keep going on and on but I think you get the picture. But, any how, look at the bright side. At least we’re not boycotting products from China.

No comments: