Sunday, April 10, 2005

7 Days of MICPA

It’s late evening here in Gombak. The sky is clear and although there is no sound of birds singing nor children laughing, the ambience is of comfort and somewhat reassuring. After spending my whole weekend doing accounting homework I’d say it’s a very welcome setting.

It is now about a week since my CPA programme has started and you know what? I love it. Absolutely giddy. Really, I do and I don’t mean it in a sarcastic way.

Well, for starters, it’s nice to have something to look forward to when you wake up every morning. For the past 3 months, the very first thing that pops into my head when I wake up is, “What’s for breakfast?”. Nowadays, it’s back to, “What time is it?”. Or when I think I overslept, it's "Oh shit, what time is it?". Only then I think about breakfast. The classes starts quite late too, about 9.30/10.00, and it does help to avoid the morning rush hour. Back in the internship days I used to love driving off with Valerie in the still of the mornings. With minor traffic along my way, it was indeed pleasant. Now it’s even better. I get morning walks. Albeit it is in the vicinity of KLCC where the air comprises more of exhaust fumes rather than healthy fresh air. But what makes this all more intriguing is what actually happens in class.

You see, since my high school days, I was never considered a talented boy when it comes to accounting subjects. That’s why I avoided the 10th optional subject of accounting during my SPM years despite people all around kept saying it’s senang. Same thing happened again during my study at UTP. A minor in Financial Management or Corporate Management? As I always associate the words ‘financial’ and ‘accounting’ together I opted for corporate. 2nd year it caught up with me again. Business Accounting was the subject and as predicted, I sucked. I did not fail but I sucked. Years later, here it is yet again. But this time I said to myself, I am trying to be an accountant so that means knowing accounting stuff and by hell if that is what it takes, then I’ll give it my best shot? And guess what? I no longer sucked. As a matter of fact, I’m breezing. I am enjoying doing accounting stuff. Now who would’ve guessed that? Same thing with Business Law. Facts are actually sticking in my head. And taxation? I understood it so much that thoughts of arguments are popping in my head. To tell you the truth, I could hardly believe this myself. I know it’s still too early and everything but with the state I’m in right now, things are looking promising. I, for one, couldn’t help but feel optimistic. The only sad so far was that I had to sacrifice my weekend to do homework. It’s a bit frustrating but in order to achieve that long term goal, I guess I could cut down on some of my funtime. Besides, having fun was what I was doing for the past 3 months.

No comments: